Friday 30 March 2018

What is Literature?


What is Literature?





I would like to start this question with a quote by Northrop Frye, he was a Canadian literary critic and literary theorist. The quote is-

“The world of Literature is a world where there is no reality except that of the human imagination”.

The above mentioned is very apt for Literature, as it is based on imagination; I too have got some imaginative description for Literature. For me Literature is something very challenging which daily rises with new questions during dawn and sets with new answers during dusk.
I am studying Literature since five years but still I am unable to find mine own apt definition for Literature. Whenever I think I have got an apt definition then again Literature unfolds in itself in a new way infront of me.
Everyone have their definition of their own and so do I have. For me Literature is like a Marigold flower with end number of petals in it and also it has got an essence like the flower has of its own. It also acts like a guiding light for the new generation of people to get well-accustomed with their roots without believing different types of interpretations. Now I read Literature to challenge the age- old beliefs of people and to bring out new definitions of it.

Literature always welcomes both criticizers as well as supporters; I prefer to find out for myself what I want to be rather than walking on the trodden path which people have traveled from the ages.

Last but not the least, I would like to quote few lines from Robert Frost’s poem that is “Road Not Taken”, which is one of my favourite poem which fascinates me to look life and Literature in a different way and the lines are-

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.












No comments:

Post a Comment